Thursday, October 18, 2018

Listen & Observe

"Right now my goals when I go to practice with Margaret is to remember SMALL STEPS, to LEARN WITHOUT PRESSURE, and to continue to LISTEN & OBSERVE as much as possible."

We all understand the importance of listening as Suzuki students and families. Just as every child learns how to speak their mother tongue language through constant repetitions of listening and observing, we can learn the violin in the same way and essentially any skill set.

Not only does listening and observing set us up with the foundation to learn any skill, it also sparks our motivation to learn and create.

I spent the summer going to numerous festivals and seeing all sorts of performers with Margaret. We had an incredible time, but I didn't realize how split my focus must have been between Margaret & the music until I was able to get a night out with some of my students to see Shane Cook perform at Siloam United Church.

I have been feeling completely unmotivated about what different pieces I wanted to teach for the Holiday recital. Every year we do something different like a pop song or movie theme and none of my ideas seemed right. So I started reaching out to students for ideas to try and spark something in me, and a tiny light was lit, but still I wasn't excited by any idea. Then I saw Shane Cook and the group of incredible performers who played with him. The skill level was outstanding, as I knew it would be, and they played many tunes I had heard before as well as a lot of new repertoire all with ease. These are true musicians, dedicating their life to becoming as good at their trade as they can, all the while learning from each other in the process, supporting their efforts and their successes, and essentially having fun doing what they do.

I came home from the show and got to work. And it all of a sudden came to me. I was inspired and excited. 

But I was also disappointed in how few students took advantage of this FREE show I was offering. What an incredible opportunity to be motivated and inspired to get to work and to work hard - my next mission is to get more of you out to shows!

Just as the musicians on stage were openly learning from one another and supporting each other in their work, I think we all need to be aware of our own continuing education. Whether we are just starting out or having been coming to lessons for years, there is always more to learn. I think it is essential to make the effort to observe those in our trade, to learn from and respect our elders and essentially anyone with more experience than ourselves, and to not assume that we know all or that we are doing all we can do.

Getting out into the world, out of our heads and our lives can push us to be the best we can be. 



In the Suzuki world, this can start with:

  • observing lessons, coming to lesson a few minutes early or a few minutes late to see other lessons.
  • Coming to group class and recitals.
  • Listening to the Suzuki music at home as well as lots of other music of your liking. 
  • Search around Youtube or Spotify for lots of artist you never knew existed.
  • Attend local shows around the city. 
  • Ask questions and learn from those in your given field, those with more experience and those you admire.

Learning never stops, nor should it. Life would be pretty boring if we kept doing things exactly the same. When we find motivation to learn and when we are inspired to do more, incredible things can happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment