Monday, March 02, 2015

Climbing Through Life; Suzuki Style

Well, February has flown by and I'm behind on my post plan already for the new year. I have numerous drafts but I've been lazy in finishing the last few details. Not that I'm lacking in ideas, but in motivation from too much time being spent under blankets, drinking really hot tea, watching netflix and dreaming of warmer days. Hopefully the worst of the winter is behind us.

I had a blast at the first two fiddle classes for 2015. We learned new notes and played because we love to play. Whether we new every note or not or could keep up with energy filled, fast paced tunes, the room was filled with smiles.

At group class last week, everyone participated in jamming to Humouresque, From listening intently, to trying to figure out notes, to bowing on our shoulders, to lightly plucking along, it was a true jam session.

I am looking forward to all that is left to learn these last two months before the year end recital on May 3rd, however what I really wanted to share is my new interest. Since this past Christmas I've been rock climbing and bouldering at Junction, here in London. I've had bruised knees, scrapped knuckles, and nightmares about falling. Yet, I keep going back because there is an addiction in figuring out a tricky route and adrenaline in reaching the top of a wall. So what does rock climbing have to do with learning the violin through the Suzuki method? So many things and despite my bumps and bruises, it is very safely run and you only have to push yourself as far as you are comfortable (I just like to push myself past my comfort zone!)

How rock climbing and bouldering compares to learning the violin through the Suzuki method:

1. All ages and levels
From climbing mothers bringing in newborns in carriers and first time toddlers, elementary school and high schoolers, university clubs, middle aged and up; with a variety of routes to choose from, there is something for every age and level to try and benefit from. 

2. Review the basics
Start with the beginning levels and then gradually work your way up, all the while, constantly coming back to routes you've once completed to make them easier and to work on trickier things like technique. The more we thoroughly master the easy routes, the sooner we'll be able to tackle the more advanced routes. 
Doesn't a picture like this make your stomach drop? I've
yet to climb an actual rock wall. I'll stick to indoor
climbing for now!

3. Small steps
When stuck on a challenging route, break it in to pieces. Once you feel comfortable with the small chunks, put the route back together. 

4. Repetition
Review, small steps, repeat. Review, small steps, repeat. Don't give up!

5. Community and support
Advanced climbers belay beginners and beginners (once certified) belay advanced climbers. Everyone works together to support and learn from one another. While resting our arms, we constantly observe other climbers and get ideas and motivation from them. Non-climbers come and support their climbing friends and family and their accomplishments, big and small. Every step and every hold is a learning moment and a personal growth.

6. Environment
Everyone is helpful and supportive and there to learn and have fun. Everyone can learn and grow at their own speed. All ages and levels can climb together and encourage one another. There is no one way to climb a wall; everyone has their own approach and style on a route. How one person figures out a route may not be the same as another does. It's the journey to the top that matters.

Any of this sound familiar? Are there any other activities you've noticed in your life that resemble the steps we take in learning to play the violin?

Ask me about what I've been doing and see if it's something you'd like to try for you or your family. 

Click HERE to find out more about Junction Climbing!

No comments:

Post a Comment