Tuesday, May 10, 2016

What a Week

Well, this post is a week later then I would normally write it, but my partial week off from teaching turned into prep work planning for the summer and upcoming school year (while finally getting to sit out in some sun!).

Despite the planning, I have been able to relax this week which is sometimes hard for me after big shows or performances, and I've had many in the past few weeks. Being a perfectionist and wanting everything to go a certain way makes for a lot of judgement on myself after a recital in thinking about what I could have done differently, what could have been better or what I should change for next time. It becomes an obsession.

Well, I've been obsession free. Our Year End Recital and the Winter Fiddle Class performance at Masonville Manor all went beautifully, seamless and smooth.

The listening and attention on Sunday May 1st was incredible. The effort and enjoyment that was seen on the faces of 30 violinists all playing together was astounding. Leaders traded places without hesitation and harmony parts were played exceptionally. The advanced students exceeded my expectations and ALL memorized the tricky Concerto A'La Potpourri. Quite a few students found their voice this year in the singing of Wishing. Some students found the confidence to join in on their newest learned pieces and some in Book 1 decided to join in whether they knew the piece or not, but just found joy in playing! 

The fiddle class performed Andy Renwick's Ferrett just like they were the Leahy Family this past Saturday May 7th. Such amazing fast finger work, memorization, coordination and ability to go from playing to dancing and back to playing without missing a beat. You all are rock stars! The creativity and leadership from this class also continues to surprise me. So many students are making artistic decisions and having opinions on how a piece could be played or what could be added to make it more interesting.

I could not be happier or more proud of all of my students and their families. My role and input only goes so far into whether a recital is going to be a success or not. You all have to put in the time to show up and do the work. It has been a dedicated year from showing up to lessons and group classes and to practice. Congratulations to everyone and I hope you have had as much fun learning music this year as I have.

With just a few weeks left until I am on Summer Schedule (the last week of lessons are June 6th-11th), you will all be receiving your registration packages and summer lesson sign-up information within the next week. Stay tuned for an exciting 2016-2017 year!

No comments:

Post a Comment