Monday, September 28, 2020

How I FINALLY Got My 3 Year Old to Practice EVERYDAY - PART 2

Part 2 - Creating a Routine

I think it is SO IMPORTANT to not over schedule, over organize and over expect of our children. However, I do think structure is important and teaching children about scheduling, managing time, staying organized and working hard are invaluable skills. 

My daughter has a morning routine of the following:
  • get dressed
  • brush teeth/hair
  • practice violin
That's it. Three items for my 3 year old. Maybe when she turns 4, I'll add a fourth. These three things however have been problem areas in our mornings. So what works for us is if she completes the list (by a certain time), she earns screen time (20-30 minutes or so) and/or a big activity (something that requires A LOT of clean-up). If we don't complete the list, there is no screen time that day. These days happen and we don't make a big deal about it. I find that the next day though she's on top of getting her list done first thing so she can watch a show or do a bigger activity. 

Other days we get the list done but we don't have a chance to get to our show because we get busy with play or go out for the day, and that's okay too. Right now, screen time is just an incentive (one that currently works for us) - it's an opportunity she can earn and use if she chooses. The goal is to create these daily habits that she can carry with her throughout her life. If we can work to do something positive together in the morning, then we earn many positive things from it.

As soon as we all became clear as a family on what happens every morning and when screen time happens (this was also huge as screen time can too easily be given out all day if we aren't careful!), the arguing became less and less.  My daughter is now in charge of what she wants to get done and when (within reason). If it doesn't get done, we don't argue about it because we all know the consequence. 

I also make sure to model myself doing everything on the list - it certainly sends the wrong message if I expect her to get dressed, brush teeth/hair and practice if I wasn't going to do those things (getting dressed with a newborn was something I wasn't always doing, I suppose along with everything else on her list!). Setting that expectation for myself made a world of difference in my mornings as it made me feel more prepared to tackle my day.

Part 3 - Coming Soon

No comments:

Post a Comment